I do like to bend post-ride beer rules. And really, One Screw Loose’s ‘Brew Ha Habanero’ contains IPA… not to mention the fact that I devoured it after a giant ride. So, yes, post-ride jelly.
So while I was off on a big two-day bikepack through remote Appalachian wilderness (more on that later this week), Virginia went to a Craft-beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival in Raleigh. Hated to miss it but luckily my wife is very thoughtful and knows my stomach. So I returned to a jar of One Screw Loose’s ‘Brew Ha Habanero Beer Jelly Rub’. The label on the jar suggests that it works well as a cheese and cracker topper, so I didn’t waste any time preparing a spread.
This stuff is good. So good that I proceeded to put a significant dent in the jar and started to worry about what I’d do when it was empty. The flavor starts with a hint of a bitter grapefruit IPA. Then the sweet and that slightly smoke/earth flavor from the habanero is followed by a little pepper kick. It’s not too hot; perfect really, the more you eat the hotter it gets.
Luckily, you can buy this stuff online.
New in plog
- Feb 14, 2017Lee Craigie’s inner journey along the Caledonia Way
- Feb 8, 2017Kona Wozo in Ireland: A Microadventure
- Feb 7, 2017Torino-Nice Rally: The Film
- Jan 30, 2017Bikepacking the Camino de Santiago. My own way…
- Jan 25, 2017Rider’s Lens: The Storytelling Maps of Alex Hotchin