Post-ride Beer: The Lament
This post isn’t really about a beer, it’s about the occasion that called for a very strong beer.
Usually the act of unboxing something is good. Christmas gifts, an Amazon box, or a birthday present. That’s not the case when it’s your bike in the box, after a long trip. I didn’t really rush into this task; I had other bikes to ride while the ECR sat dormant in its cardboard coffin for a couple of weeks.
Last year, I marinated in a glorious post-ride beer that I dedicated to our whole Latin America trip as I degunked and cleaned the Troll. Overall it was a nice moment of reflection. This time, I wasn’t so excited about it. Maybe the withdrawal has been worse, or maybe the trip was better and I wasn’t ready for reflection. One thing was certain, there were some nasty scrapes and bruises on that bike in the box. So when the time came, I knew I needed to blur the occasion to take the edge off. Maybe a whisky would have been proper, but working in the garage during the heat of summer requires something cold. Two beers with the word ‘imperial’ in their name would do.
New in plog
- Feb 14, 2017Lee Craigie’s inner journey along the Caledonia Way
- Feb 8, 2017Kona Wozo in Ireland: A Microadventure
- Feb 7, 2017Torino-Nice Rally: The Film
- Jan 30, 2017Bikepacking the Camino de Santiago. My own way…
- Jan 25, 2017Rider’s Lens: The Storytelling Maps of Alex Hotchin