Posted by Logan Watts
UPDATE [Oct 25]: Read our full Niner SIR 9 review here. Today Niner joined the list of bike companies offering a 27.5+/29er steel ‘do-it-all’ hardtail. So how different can it be, really? Well, the all new Niner Sir 9 has a few unique tricks up its sleeve. For one it’s fabricated with the upper echelon of steel cycling tubesets, Reynolds 853 — like one of our other favorite bikes, the RLT 9 Steel. Reynolds claims that the “strength to weight ratio of 853 is close to that of quality titanium”. In addition, the Niner Sir 9 is studded with a plethora of mounts, including two pairs of inner triangle bottle bosses, one pair under the down tube, rack and fender mounts on the rear stays, and a pair of bosses topside for a bolt on top tube bag. There are also two bosses on the underside of the top tube enabling a fully strapless bolt-on frame pack (as shown in a few of these press time photos).
Other changes to note include a completely new chainstay yoke. To increase strength and stiffness, and to meet international ISO mountain biking standards, Niner created a nearly unified yoke which, according to Niner, “… allowed us to create longer and stronger welds to the bottom bracket.” Hidden inside is a plate that adds to the bike’s overall stiffness.
- Reynolds 853 steel provides the supple, comfortable ride this legendary material is known for.
- Compatible with 29 X 2.4, or 27.5 X 3.0 tires to offer the choice of maximum roll over or ultra traction and stability.
- Revised geometry is optimized for modern trail riding, long days in the saddle and all around good times.
- Integrated (bolt-on) bag mounts inside front triangle.
- Bento box mounts on top tube offer additional storage options within reach.
- 73mm PF 30 BB shell is geared or singlespeed compatible with the Niner Biocentric 30.
- 148 X 12 Boost rear spacing.
- Compatible with 1x (max ring 36t) and 2x (26/36 or bigger) drivetrain systems.
- Compatible with 2x (26/36 or bigger) drivetrain systems, 34.9 Sideswing front pull front derailleur.
- 73mm PF30 BB shell (adaptors required for BSA type bbs).
- Compatible with Biocentric 30 for singlespeed use.
- 30.9 seat post.
- 31.8 seat collar.
- 34.9 front derailleur clamp.
- 1.125” X 1.5” Tapered zero stack head tube, 44mm upper, 56mm lower, cane creek description: ZS44/28.6 ZS56/40.
- 34.9 Side swing, front pull front derailleur.
- Post mount disc brake – 180mm max rotor size.
- All sizes have 2 inner triangle bottle mounts, 1 mount under down tube.
- Can fit up to a 29×2.4O, or 27.5×3.0 Tire (tire sizes vary by brand, some tires may not fit).
- Compatible with standard 1x (36t max), 2x and 3x systems.
The new Niner SIR 9 was designed around Niner’s [r]evolution Trail Geometry and has a 68° head tube angle, 74° seat tube angle, a 427mm chainstay, and a 55mm BB drop. The Niner SIR 9 is available as a frame only for $1200 or one of nine build kits — five 29er options ranging from 2-Star SLX at $3,000 to 5-Star Eagle X01 Carbon for a cool $6k. As a 27.5+ you can get one of four different builds ranging from 2-Star SLX with Stan’s ZTR Baron wheels and a Reba fork for $3,300, to the 5-Star Eagle build with the same wheels, an Eagle X01 drivetrain and a 120mm Fox Float Factory fork for $5k. We like the looks of the 27.5+ Eagle X01 build and the slightly more affordable 4-Star XT:
Niner SIR 9 4-STAR XT STANS – 27.5+ $4,400
- FORK FOX 34 FLOAT FACTORY FIT4, 3 POSITION W/ ADJ, KASHIMA COAT, 120MM, 110X15MM
- WHEELS STAN’S NOTUBES NEO/ZTR BARON S1, 110X15MM FRONT, 148 X 12MM REAR
- TIRES MAXXIS REKON+ DC/EXO/TR 2.8 FRONT & REAR
- BRAKES & ROTORS SHIMANO XT M8000 ICE TECH PADS, 180/160MM RT86 ICE TECH ROTORS
- R/ SHIFTER SHIMANO XT M8000 11SP I-SPEC II
- R / DERAILLEUR SHIMANO XT M8000 GS 11SP SHADOW PLUS
- CASSETTE SHIMANO XT M8000 11-46T
- CHAIN SHIMANO XT HG-701 11SP
- CRANK SET RACE FACE TURBINE 32T
- BOTTOM BRACKET RACE FACE PF30
- SADDLE NINER CUSTOM WITH CR-MO RAILS, NINER GRAPHIC
- SEAT POST KS LEV INTEGRA
- HANDLEBAR RACE FACE NEXT 760MM WIDE, 20MM RISE, 35MM CLAMP
- STEM RACE FACE AEFFECT 35MM CLAMP
- GRIPS NINER GRRRIPS L/O