Surly Troll Touring Bike: The Original
Before we left on our tour through Mexico and Central America, I spent countless hours devising and concocting the perfect bike for on and off-road touring. I wanted a bike that was tank-proof and would withstand the impending Mayan apocalypse, so here is what was born…
The Surly Troll is the perfect bike for long-distance, year-long touring, especially if you like the off-road variety of riding. The Trolls geometry is perfect for dirt road riding. I was initially looking at the Long-haul Trucker (I even owned one for a short stint), but being a mountain-biker I feel like I am slightly more comfortable positioned upright with a slacker geometry.
Build and Parts List
- Frame: 20″ Surly Troll (custom paint RAL 6020)
- Rear Hub: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14
- Front Hub: Phil Wood Disc
- Wheels: Velocity Cliff Hangers laced by CycleMonkey
- Cranks: Shimano Deore LX (oldschool and bulletproof)
- Ring: Surly Stainless 38t
- Chain: Wippermann 808
- Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2.15″
- Bottom Bracket: SKF
- Brakes: Avid BB7 / Avid Ultimate levers
- Headset: Chris King Nothreadset
- Handlebar: Kona bar or Easton EA70
- Stem: Easton EA70
- Saddle: Selle Anatomica Titanico
- Seatpost: Easton Havoc
- Pedals: Shimano PD-M324
- Front Rack: Old Man Mountain Pioneer
- Rear Rack: Tubus Locc
New in gear
- Jan 11, 2017Hyperlite UltaMid 2 Review: Andes to Caucasus
- Jan 10, 2017MSR PocketRocket 2 Review: Trail Tested.
- Dec 1, 2016Wolf Tooth CAMO Review: Gear Swap.
- Nov 28, 2016Bikepacking Gear Gift Guide: Shiny and New
- Nov 8, 2016The New Revelate Mountain Feedbag: Ride, refine, repeat.