New QUOC Gravel Shoes: Gran Tourer Sneak Peek
A sneak peek at the all new QUOC Gran Tourer, a high-end gravel and all-road cycling shoe with a waterproof mid, ‘Tiger Camo’ microfiber upper, and a burly lugged outsole built for tough terrain…
UK-based QUOC is known for high quality and high style urban cycling shoes. The company recently designed a new all-road/gravel shoe to meet the changing needs of their customers, those who are venturing farther afield onto gravel and dirt, and even into situations requiring the occasional hike-a-bike. According to QUOC, the Gran Tourer is a shoe to live in, even when you hit the dirt, gravel, or mountain bike trails.
We had a chance to participate in the pre-release campaign for the Gran Tourer and just received this sample pair to admire. As expected, the presentation is almost as well designed as the shoes. After removing the box lid, a large bi-fold card sits atop the shoe compartment. Unfolding the monogramed exterior panel reveals a full width map of Brecon Beacons National Park… and a nice pair of olive Merino socks with ‘PASSION’ on one foot and ‘TO PEDAL’ on the other.
With a mid-upper matte black skirt, heavily lugged olive/tan outsole, and a patterned upper, QUOC nailed the aesthetic. The one you see here is in ‘Black Camouflage’, but the Gran Tourer will ultimately be available in several color ways. While hard to discern, it has a proprietary design that subtly blends ‘Vietnamese Tiger’ camo with topographical maps of England’s terrain. It’s not really black, but more of a pewter, which matches well with the outsole and black trim. The unique lace pattern also adds to the look as well.
On first inspection, the Gran Tourer’s construction seems very well designed with high quality materials. The upper feels sturdy yet pliable, as you would expect from a shoe that will break in well and provide a good fit. After closer examination and a quick try on, I would be inclined to think that the QUOC Gran Tourer is fitted more for gravel grinders, overnighters, and gravel racing than big multi-week bikepacking adventures. It’s a stiff shoe with minimal padding at the upper heal, ankle, and strategically placed within. But according to QUOC, the shoes were in fact designed with long trips in mind and tested on multi-week outings. However, based on my personal preference, I envision these shoes being more appropriate for weekenders, races, or trips where speed and support are key. Only time and testing will tell though; we look forward to getting a production pair to put through the wringer and report back.
The QUOC Gran Tourer has a few features worth highlighting. QUOC’s own double lock-lace feature allows a secure and custom fit mid-shoe, particularly interesting for racing and long days where shoe adjustment shouldn’t be a required concern. And how about those soles! As mentioned, they are very stiff, but the medium-hard sticky rubber seems like it would work great for shuffling up rocky embankments and other off the bike pursuits. Another nice touch is a small concealed reflective strip on the heel.
Specs from QUOC
- Outsole construction: The Gran Tourer sole is designed to make hiking and walking trails more comfortable and easier to navigate than other cycling shoes which lack adequate grip.
- Midboard construction: The midsole is engineered to blend the stiffness needed for responsive cycling and the comfort needed for hiking and all day wear.
- Weather proof grading: The Gran Tourer is 100% waterproof up to the black seam border and all upper external materials are fused together using a special heating technique. Gusseted tongue construction for better water and dustproofing.
- Upper construction: water and abrasion resistant microfibre. The entire shoe is vegan.
- Upper pattern design: The camouflage version is a proprietary design that subtly blends Vietnamese Tiger with topographical maps of England’s terrain.
- Lacing system: The lock-lace feature in the middle section of the lace up closure allows the wearer to create a custom fit by tightening different sections of the shoe to their liking. The benefit of this is that the shoe fits perfectly throughout the ride and supports the rider on the pedal.
- Safety: signature 3M reflective heel strip (black colour).
- The Tongue: The tongue has a gusseted design (attached to the shoe at the sides) to prevent water entering the shoe. The interior fabric of the tongue is an absorbent microfiber material.
- The inner heel: The interior fabric of the heel is the same absorbent microfiber material as the tongue.
- The footbed/insole: The insole of the shoe is made of EVA to balance support, comfort and vibration reduction, and the insole design also features the absorbent microfiber material.
- Shoe weight (single EU43): ~350 grams
- Color ways: Black Camouflage, Green Camouflage, Pink, Pure Black
- Sizes: UK3.5~UK12.5 / EU37.5~EU46.5 / US4.5~US13.5
The Quoc Gran Tourer All-Terrain Bike Shoes hit Kickstarter on March 15th.
Before then, QUOC is giving away 6 pairs pre-production shoes to 6 lucky cyclists (complete with merino wool socks and shoe bag). Here is how to win: (1) Like this post and tag two friends there; (2) Follow @quocgravel on Instagram if you have not; (3) Head to QUOC’s website to sign up for the competition. Contest has ended.