‘Steve’, A Surly Troll Touring Setup for Africa… Bikepacking Style.
A quick post showing the final Africa setup for ‘Steve’, as Virginia named her blue Troll, which I think she came up with so she could boldly announce, ‘My ass hurts, must’ve been that long ride on Steve.’
If it was mine, I think I’d name it Babe the Blue Ox, or Smurfette, but to each his or her own. There are still a few loose ends to tie up, but for the most part, Steve is ready to pack up and toss on the plane.
All in all, this kit will probably drop the overall weight from her Central America setup by 30+ pounds. At the heart of it is a long-flap saddlebag, hand built by Virginia herself, which will snugly fit her clothing and toiletries, among other sundries. Up front, the Revelate Sweet Roll will house her sleeping bag and rain gear. Her sleeping pad, pillow and a couple other odds and ends will go in a drybag mounted on the rear rack. Steve will also have three bottle cages and an extra large cage on the right fork leg for additional water when necessary. The left fork leg will have an oversized cage to use for food when needed. God luck and good speed, Steve.
Steve, the Surly Troll, parts list
- Frame: 16″ Surly Troll (custom coated RAL 5009)
- Rear Hub: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14
- Front Hub: Shimano XT Disc
- Wheels: Velocity Cliff Hangers
- Cranks: Shimano Deore LX (oldschool and bulletproof)
- Ring: Surly Stainless 38t
- Chain: Wippermann 808
- Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2″ / Schwalbe Marathon XR 2″
- Bottom Bracket: SKF
- Brakes: Avid BB7 / Avid levers
- Headset: Chris King Nothreadset (pink beotch)
- Handlebar: Random brand traded for her Trekking bars in El Salvador
- Stem: Easton EA70
- Saddle: Selle Anatomica Titanico
- Seatpost: Easton EA70
- Pedals: Blackspire El Gordo
- Front Rack: Salsa Minimalist
- Rear Rack: Salsa Minimalist
- Other Accessories: Carradice Bagman QR; Salsa Rack Lock Seatpost Clamp
New in gear
- Jun 15, 2018Rockgeist Fiber Flight Frame Bag Review
- Jun 14, 2018Makeshifter Snackhole Review: Waxed Canvas Stem Bag
- Jun 1, 2018Specialized 2FO ClipLite Review: What a Clipless Shoe Should Be
- May 21, 2018OneUp Shark 11-50T Kit Review: Sharks, Eagles, and Monkeys, Oh My!
- May 18, 2018JPaks FramePak Review: Bolt-on Frame Bag